ADA joins global alliance
Group promotes peace, well-being
The ADA has joined the Alliance for Oral Health Across Borders, a group focused on promoting peace and well-being through oral health.
Alliance members include universities worldwide, dental industry, non-governmental organizations and individuals that serve as a coordinating group to promote, nurture and sponsor collaborations among oral health and health-related schools, companies and organizations worldwide to:
• promote peace through oral health as part of total health and reduction of disparities;
• improve oral health by nurturing engagements among health professionals in order to develop an understanding of the myriad of social, political and other causes of conflicts;
• develop leadership and advocacy programs to promote peace and well-being through oral health;
• provide dental students and educators with opportunities for exchange, ultimately familiarizing them with state-of-the-art technology and science in all disciplines of dentistry throughout different parts of the world;
• promote and facilitate international collaborative research among participants of the Alliance.
Several ADA members serve on the alliance board, including Dr. Amid Ismail, dean, Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University, alliance board chair; Dr. Michael Glick, dean, School of Dental Medicine, University of Buffalo; Dr. Jerold Goldberg, dean, Case School of Dental Medicine, Case Western Reserve University; Dr. Leo Rouse, past president of the American Dental Education Association and dean, College of Dentistry, Howard University; Lois Cohen, Ph.D. (ADA honorary member), consultant and Paul G. Rogers Ambassador for Global Health Research, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health; Dr. Irvin Silverstein, director and adviser, Pre-Dental Society and Student Run Free-Dental Clinic, University of California San Diego; Dr. Jack Dillenberg, dean, Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health, A.T. Still University; and Dr. Allen Finkelstein, chairman and CEO, Bedford HealthCare Solutions.
The Alliance was organized in 2011 through a development grant from Henry Schein Cares. For more information, visit online.
Through the Division of Global Affairs, the ADA continues to build relationships with international organizations for the betterment of global oral health.
Visit the website for more information.