The CDHC curriculum was developed by experts in education, public health and dentistry to meet the seven core competencies.
Seven Core Competencies
- Developing and implementing community-based oral health prevention and promotion programs.
- Knowledge and skills required to prioritize population and patient groups.
- Knowledge and skills required to provide individual preventive services based on approved plans.
- Knowledge and skill required to collect diagnostic data.
- Knowledge and skill required to perform a variety of clinical-supported treatments
- Knowledge and skill required for administrative procedures
- Knowledge and skill required to temporize dental cavities in preparation for restorative care by a dentist.
The educational components of the curriculum are designed for online delivery, accompanied by a series of in-person sessions for student skill development and evaluation. The ADA developed the community health worker–related courses and the dental-related elements of the curriculum
Elements of the CDHC training include:
- Introduction to Dentistry
- Dental Health Screening and Classification
- Preventing Dental Caries
- Preventing Periodontal Disease
- Preventing Oral Cancer
- Dental Care Finance
- Palliative Care
- Interviewing Skills for Dental Health Advocates
- Oral Health Communication
- Dental Health Legal and Ethical Issues
- Dental Health Advocacy and Outreach
- Community Dental Health Coordinator Internship