National Children's Dental Health Month
National Children's Dental Health Month
Each February, the American Dental Association (ADA) sponsors National Children's Dental Health Month to raise awareness about the importance of oral health. NCDHM messages and materials have reached millions of people in communities across the country.
Developing good habits at an early age and scheduling regular dental visits helps children get a good start on a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
Whether you're a member of the dental team, a teacher or a parent, the ADA has free online resources that can help you with oral health presentations, ideas for the classroom and coloring and activity sheets that can be used as handouts. We also have booklets, videos and other materials available for purchase through our ADA Catalog.
Please direct all questions to email@example.com.
2014 NCDHM Campaign
The 2014 NCDHM campaign brings together thousands of dedicated dental professionals, health care providers and others to promote the benefits of good oral health to children and adults, caregivers, teachers, and many others.
This year's NCDHM campaign features the slogan "Join the Super Smile Team!". This eye catching poster features the McGrinn Twins, Flossy and Buck, along with their best friends and next-door neighbors Den and Gen Smiley and K-9 the Dog, fighting for good oral health and a super smile. The preteen/teen super heroes are smiling because they fought for great oral health and a super winning smile.
The NCDHM Program Planning Guide offers program coordinators, dental societies, teachers and parents resources to promote the benefits of good oral health to children. The guide includes easy-to-do activities, program planning timetable tips, a sample NCDHM proclamation, and much, much more.
- Download the NCDHM Program Planning Guide (English PDF/4.5MB)
2014 NCDHM Poster
The NCDHM Posters features this year's slogan "Join the Super Smile Team!" on both sides and are available in English and Spanish. This versatile poster will help speakers, teachers, and others who want to address all age groups.
To download the "Do It Yourself" NCDHM posters in 8.5"x11"/Letter Size, please click the links below.
To download the "Do It Yourself" NCDHM posters in 11"x17"/Tabloid Size, please click the links below.
***To place an order for the NCDHM posters, please click on the following link: http://www.myforsite.com/ada/Login.aspx.*** English posters can be ordered in quantities of 25, 50, 100 and 500. Spanish posters can be ordered in quantities of 25, 50 and 100.***
There are many ways to publicize your oral health messages, events and activities. Here are ideas that will help you get your messages placed:
Develop a list of the local newspapers, radio and television stations. Many libraries have media directories (such as Bacon's), which include addresses, phone numbers, names of editors or producers, and circulation or broadcast information.
The local phone directory is a good resource for locating news outlets. Don't forget community news or "free" papers, which often feature community events.
Press releases are bulletins that provide general information about a specific topic (sealants, mouth guards, early childhood caries, etc.) or an upcoming event, such as a dental health screening.
News articles should be typed, double-spaced, on organization letterhead or sent by email.
Good outlets for news releases include:
- daily and weekly newspapers and Sunday newspaper supplements
- newsprint shopping guides
- hospital newsletters
- library bulletin boards
- health club newsletters
- church bulletins
- chamber of commerce newsletters
To download information about additional ways to publicize your program review the links below.
Check out these games, puzzles, cool coloring sheets and our smile calendar. Print out the collection and grab your markers! You'll be on the road to a healthy smile in no time.
- 2MIN 2X Coloring Sheet (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Sets of Two Activity Sheet (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Story (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Crossword Puzzle (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Decoder (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Certificate (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Nutrition Match (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Shirt Logo (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Puppet Cutout (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Reminder (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Tooth Anatomy (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
Full Sets of Activity Sheets
- Guidelines for Usage of the 2014 NCDHM Slogan (English PDF)
- Download the full set of 2013 Activity Sheets (English PDF/1.2MB) | (Spanish PDF/1.13MB)
- Download the full set of 2012 Activity Sheets (English PDF/2.1MB) | (Spanish PDF/.7MB)
- Download the full set of 2011 Activity Sheets (English PDF/1.5MB) | (Spanish PDF/.8MB)
Looking for materials to help educate children on their oral health? We have tips to help you talk with students from day care through high school. Check out our NEW Activities & Resources page.