ADA Library & Archives
Welcome to the ADA Library & Archives
Our primary mission is to serve the informational needs of ADA members and support the needs of ADA staff. The ADA Library & Archives offers access to a unique collection of electronic, print, and archival material. A team of experienced library professionals have the resources and expertise to assist with making your search for information faster, easier and more productive.
Find Articles Using These Electronic Resources:
- PubMed/MEDLINE: PubMed/MEDLINE is the National Library of Medicine's (NLM) searchable database of almost 20 million citations from more than 5,400 medical, dental, health and scientific journals (however, less than 200 dental journals are included in this group).
- Loansome Doc: Loansome Doc is an online method of ordering full–text journal articles after conducting a literature search using the National Library of Medicine’s PubMed/MEDLINE database.
- A-to-Z List (login required) is a comprehensive database to browse and read full text journal articles right from your desktop. This for ADA members only and access requires members to login.
- Over 600 current journal titles (PDF) are available in print only and are not in circulation, but requested journal articles can be scanned and emailed or photocopied and sent by mail. Please note that fees apply to fulfill requests; call the library for fee information.
Search by Topic:
- Dental/medical literature, use PubMed/MEDLINE
- Specific dental topics, use DynaMed/Dental & Oral Science Source (login required)
Find Additional Information by searching the ADA Library & Archive Catalog Online.
The electronic resources above will provide 24 hour access to information that will benefit both your dental career and practice.
- Assistance with your PubMed/Internet search.
- Access to ADA Archives and Historical Information.
- Recommendations or referrals to other sources of information.
- Staff can also research and share with you a list of current articles and abstracts that are available on your topic.
Archives and Historic Information:
The Archives of the American Dental Association, located within the ADA Library, maintains the organization’s historical records and publications. The ADA Library includes books, journals and other resources on dental history. The Archivist, who organizes and maintains the archival and historical collections, answers questions concerning the history of the organization, the dental profession and the people involved in the development and history of dentistry.
The archivist welcomes biographical and historical questions on dentistry from both members and the public. Call the ADA Archives at 312-440-7722 or the members only 800#, x7722 for more information on a topic or person in dental history.
Historic Reference Search Fee
The ADA Archives charges $30.00 ($35.00 non-member) per question for information on historical topics concerning dentistry and the dental profession. You will receive 2-8 articles (depending on what is available and within 50 pages). Additional charges will apply for more information with requester approval.
Genealogical/Biographical Reference Service Fee
The Archives charges $30.00 ($35.00 non-member) per name to search for information on individual dentists. The ADA does not keep historical records or files on individual dentists and/or members. The Archivist conducts a literature search of dental periodicals and publications available at the Library. This includes (but is not limited to) tracing the dentist’s name through dental directories for addresses and dental education particulars and a search of the dental literature for articles concerning the life and work of the individual.
History of the American Dental Association
The following files contain information on various topics of interest and are available to download:
- History of the American Dental Association Timeline (PDF)
- Founding of the American Dental Association (PDF)
- Presidents of the American Dental Association (PDF)
- American Dental Association Annual Session Site Locations (PDF)
- ADA Chicago Headquarters Building (PDF)
- Family Sculpture (PDF)
History of Dentistry
- Dental History Timeline (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions on Dental History (PDF)
- List of Books on the History of Dentistry (PDF)
Contact Information and Visits by Appointment
- Phone calls are received Monday-Thursday from 9:00am-4:00pm Central Standard Time.
- Email the Library 24/7 at: email@example.com
- To visit in person Monday-Friday from 9:00am-4:00pm, please make an appointment 24 hours in advance.
ADA Library & Archives
American Dental Association, 6th floor
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, ILL 60611-2637
Toll-free member number: 800.621.8099 x2653
Direct number: 312.440.2653