Oral Health Topics
Dental Practice Management
- CELL Seminar Series (Link will take you to Education and Testing Section of ADA.org)
- Practice Management Resources
- Practice Management Programs
- Dental Team Resources and Activities
- Dentist Health and Wellness
- Council on Dental Practice (CDP)
- Practice Management and Allied Dental Personnel Resources Web Sites
Almost three-quarters of all dentists choose to become solo business owners. For you as a small business owner, the ADA continually develops a wide variety of resources. These are a few of the practice management topics members tell us they need help with—starting, structuring, designing, staffing, managing, growing, transitioning, selling and closing your practice. The Council has also developed resources for associating, emergency preparedness, disaster planning and recovery, health and wellness—in other words, all the non-clinical aspects of running your practice.
Not sure which of these resources addresses your specific question? Or are you intimidated by the overwhelming task of starting a practice? Give us call at the toll free ADA number, x2895 or send us an e-mail at email@example.com.
- Associateships: A Guide for Owner and Prospective Associates
- Fast-Track Training: The Basics for Dental Staff
- CEO Crash Course: A Dentist's Guide to Practice Leadership
- Dental Office Design: A Guide to Building, Remodeling and Relocating
- Employee Office Manual: A Guide for the Dental Practice
- Frequently Asked Legal Questions: A Guide for Dentists and the Dental Team (members only)
- Practice Options for the New Dentist (e-Book)
- Protecting Your Dental Office from Fraud and Embezzlement (e-Book)
- Practical Guide to Starting Your Dental Practice
- Transitions: Navigating Sales, Associateships & Partnerships in Your Dental Practice
- Valuing a Practice: A Guide for Dentists
ADA Catalog Products: Marketing
- Dental Letters Made Easy
- Periodontal Screening and Recording
- The Power of Customer Service
- Practical Guide to Internal Marketing: The Key to Dental Practice
Council of Dental Practice Products
To order the products below either:
- Complete and mail or fax the order form (address and fax number on form)
- Call the ADA Toll Free Number, x2895 or 312-440-2895
- Guide to Closing a Dental Practice (PDF)
- Dental Abbreviations, Symbols and Acronyms (PDF)
- Dental Records (PDF)
- Emergency Planning & Disaster Recovery in the Dental Office (PDF)
- General Guidelines for Development of Mutual Aid Agreements in Dentistry (PDF)
- General Guidelines for Referring Dental Patients (PDF)
Marketing Resources: Set includes the following:
- Marketing Resources Guide
- Surveys for the Dental Practice
Practice Management Guidelines: Set includes the following:
- Communicating Infection Control to Your Patients
- Establishing a Dental Placement Service
- Flexible Benefit Plans In A Dental Office
- General Guidelines for Developing Business Plans
- General Guidelines for Written Employment Agreements Between Dentists & Employees
- Informed Consent and the Law Article
- Resources for On-the-Job Training of Dental Assistants
Survey Research on Dentistry:
- Practice Management and Clinical Programs
Online Continuing Education (CE) for Dentists and Team Members
Certified Dental Technicians Recognition
Today's dentists work closely with their dental laboratory technicians to provide the best prosthetic treatment for patients. As part of its mission, the Council on Dental Practice wishes to highlight the significant contributions that Certified Dental Technicians have made to the progress of the profession. Again this year, the ADA, working with assistance from the National Association of Dental Laboratories, is recognizing those CDTs celebrating their 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th and 50th anniversary of certification. Below are documents containing the names and addresses of technicians who are part of this recognition. You may also wish to acknowledge these individuals through an announcement or the publication of these names in your journal.
- 25th Year Certified Dental Technicians (PDF)
- 30th Year Certified Dental Technicians (PDF)
- 35th Year Certified Dental Technicians (PDF)
- 40th Year Certified Dental Technicians (PDF)
- 45th Year Certified Dental Technicians (PDF)
- 50th Year Certified Dental Technicians (PDF)
Dental Assistants Recognition Week (DARW)
The 2012 DARW will be held March 4–10. DARW gives dental offices the opportunity to show their support for the team concept and to recognize and honor dental assistants. This annual event is co-sponsored by the American Dental Association, American Dental Assistants Association, the Canadian Dental Assistants' Association and the Canadian Dental Association. If you have any questions about DARW or would like additional ad slicks, contact the Council on Dental Practice x2895 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2012 Dental Assistant Recognition Week Full-Page Ad (PDF/1.5MB)
- 2012 Dental Assistant Recognition Week Quarter-Page Ad (PDF)
- 2012 Dental Assistant Recognition Week One-Column Ad (PDF)
- 2012 Dental Assistants Recognition Week Ad Slicks (PDF/1.1MB)
- 2012 Dental Assistant Recognition Week Kit (PDF/1.3MB)
Downloadable Anniversary Certificate for Dental Office Staff
A sincere expression of appreciation from a supervisor or coworker that recognizes an employee's contribution can increase the employee's self-esteem and motivation. Download this anniversary certificate, print it on certificate paper (available at any office supply store), place it in a nice frame, present it at a staff meeting and display the framed certificate in the office.
How a recognition award is presented can be just as important and meaningful as the award itself—give details of the award (how many years of being a hygienist, time at the practice), ask other staff members to speak, and invite family members or friends, if possible. Not only is this a great staff morale builder, the framed certificate also highlights the professionalism and experience of your staff to your patients.
Note: It is the responsibility of whoever downloads and customizes this certificate to verify the accuracy of the information on the certificate.
Customize the Certificate:
- Download the file by right-clicking on the link and selecting from the menu
"Save Target As…". Save the file to your computer.
- Anniversary Certificate for Dental Office Staff (DOC)
- American Dental Assistants Association
- Dental Careers
- National Association of Dental Laboratories
- The American Dental Hygienists' Association
- Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Information on state-specific job titles, rules and regulations for dental assistants.
Dentistry can be stressful and poses unique challenges and risks to its practitioners. The ADA Well-Being and Assistance Programs offer confidential assistance for dentists and/or their concerned family members.
The listing of internet resources in the downloadable document below is a compilation of resources from many different areas of the Association and outside the ADA that may address questions that you and/or your staff have about the day-to-day office activities. The good thing about the internet is the easy, instant access it offers; the downside is that it is not easy to properly phrase a question to find the correct answer nor can you always judge the veracity of information. The list categorizes some broad topics that members and allied dental personnel call the ADA about often and it offers Web sites or resources that may address those issues.
- New Practice Checklist (PDF)
- Practice Management and Allied Dental Personnel Resources Web Sites (PDF)